Saturday, April 12, 2014

I Learned Some Things

Well family...

Ojala que todo esté yendo bien en Costa Rica!  Entonces voy a escribir todo esta carta en Español por que están allí.....No....tendré misericordia con ustedes. 

(Parent translation...Hopefully everything is going well in Costa Rica!  I’ll write this letter in Spanish since you all are there ..... No. ... I will have mercy on you.)

haha!  That bit of news really took me by surprise.  But it's all good,  I bet you are in quite a similar area like me!  Spanish, indescribable heat, food that is similar, and lots and lots of dirt and dust.  But...I will guarantee that there is more heat and more dust here...jaja

So, I made a decision,  I am really sorry for being so negative and sad in all of my emails.  I loved what Elder Uchtdorf said in Priesthood session “that a bad attitude can be an addiction”  (don't know if thats what he said, but thats what I learned).  So I am sorry for all of the bad news and bad things which I have told you.  So, from now on, I will be more positive.  I wont keep things from you, but I will be more positive.

So right now, I actually am pretty good.  We had a good week, had a good conference, and a good Pday, just sooooo hot.  This week went really slow, and I am kinda glad its over, but there were a couple of great things which I learned...

We have an investigator who is named Francisco Aguilar.  He is like 70 years old, and has super bad health.  He has lots of doubts and lots of problems, but we really are seeing the power of the Atonement in his life.  We have had two lessons with him,  the first he was so discouraged, and we just talked about the atonement and how Christ knows him.  After that, he prayed and our next visit, he was so happy and content.  He still has doubts and problems, but the Savior is really helping him to pull his load (like Elder Bednar explained, loved that talk).  Francisco now has a baptismal date for the 17 de May!

The other good experience that we had, was that there is a couple here that has been listening to the missionaries for so long!  They are so wonderful, but the Husband (Miguel) doesn’t want to baptize or get married.  His wife (Mirium) wants to be baptized, but cant because she isn’t married.  This week, we saw a huge improvement in both of them.  Miguel began to read, and Mirium was all good.  And they accepted a Marriage date!  May 10.  So happy for them.

Plus, I loved this conference!  We got to watch it live (in Spanish).  I learned so much and the Spirit that it brought into my life is just incredible.  The only bad part is sitting in a burning hot chapel in a suit, super focusing to listen in Spanish, for ten hours, but its all good and worth it.  I loved Elder Bednar’s talk and basically all of them....But there is one I want to talk about more....The one from M Russell Ballard....I testify that there is power in studying Preach My Gospel.  I know that you will feel closer to Taylor and I if you study it, and that you will have a greater appreciation for the mission work.  I invite you to start when you are home, with Chapter 3, Lesson 1.  To study it, study the scriptures, invitations, and commitments.  You will learn so much and you will love it!  And next week, you have to tell me how it’s going!  And I will “follow up.”  Girls, Lexi and Elli are included in this.  Dad, I am so happy for your time that you have spent sharing the gospel.  (Mike had a 20 min. discussion with the lady that was helping him on the Microsoft tech support line the other day about our church and missionary work) That really makes me happy!

Eating well?
Mas o menos.  I am cooking lots of pancakes....

Are you doing some fun things?
Conference, tomorrow we have a service project in the banana fields with some of the other missionaries, and a Multi zone conference in Talara on Thursday!

Did you have a fun Pday?
Today, we all ate together, play futbol, and prepared a skit for the conference

Did you say that you are having a multi-zone conference soon?  What is that?
Every three months, the mission gets together in Zones.  Like three or four zones get together and president comes and we have a conference all day long.  But the one this week, I get to go to Talara (I was there for 6 months) and I will get to see Elder Rodriguez and some other friends.

Did you get to listen to conference?  I hope so.
Every session!

There was a 8.2 earthquake off the northern coast of Chili last Tuesday.  Did you feel that?
I didn't feel it, but lots of people were talking about it.

Do you ever go out to eat?
Because we are so far away from the Stake Center, this week we did with our district on Saturday.  I was so fun.  We are planning a day to eat here in Querecotillo with our Ward Mission Leader (who is my best friend here).

Well Family, I am good and I am happy.  During conference, I learned something else.  Whenever I am sad or discouraged, I am going to think of three small things that I am grateful for in that moment...whatever they may be!  It has helped me lots and I am excited to see how much it helps me in the future.
Also, I received letters from the CBs (thanks by the way)...and also from a guy named Adam  ( I don't know him) but he served here in Piura like 15 years ago.  He found my blog and sent me a real kind letter.  He lives in Cedar city.  If you could contact him, I would love to talk with him a little more.  His letter really helped me.  That.  Was a cool experience!

Well family, I love you lots and hope that everything goes well, even if you are in Costa Rica!

Zack

1 comment:

  1. I'm the Adam Elder Bradshaw mentioned. I think he is doing really well and I love reading this blog. Please feel free to send me an email or message through my blog: abitofadam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete